AGE 64, CD4 81--Can we do anything?

For any expert--I will make this brief. I work in Southwest China. Our company translator's parents (in their late 60's) acquired HIV in an unknown way, at an unknown time in the past. Recently, the father's health began to fail; he was found to have HIV and was diagnosed with AIDS. He died less than 3 weeks later. Now, (three days ago), the mother has been found to have HIV and has been diagnosed with AIDS; though her viral load has not yet been tested, her CD4 is 81. The family is in a panic about what to do; imported medicine costs a fortune here, so we are their only hope for the prolonging of the mother's life.

Here is our question: at age 64, with this CD4 count, how long does she have, even with normal treatment? What do you guys recommend for us?

Thanks so much for your help.

Sincerely,

Jesse Hamilton Instructor, Yunnan University, Yunnan, China

Vice-President, China-American Education Foundation

On behalf of: Andy Hamilton Petra Energy Corporation

Thanks for your question.

These cases point out the growing realization of the extent of the epidemic in China.

As for treatments-- yes, she can have a good response to therapy. I'm not sure what types of medications are available in China, but I'd certainly recommend trying to start her on a three drug regimen of two nucleosides and either a NNRTI or protease inhibitor.

With successful treatment, I'd expect her to improve clinically,though the actual length of life is very difficult to predict.

Good luck. BY

delta 32 gene mutation info
Scare of meds