The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

AGE 64, CD4 81--Can we do anything?
Mar 12, 2003

For any expert--I will make this brief. I work in Southwest China. Our company translator's parents (in their late 60's) acquired HIV in an unknown way, at an unknown time in the past. Recently, the father's health began to fail; he was found to have HIV and was diagnosed with AIDS. He died less than 3 weeks later. Now, (three days ago), the mother has been found to have HIV and has been diagnosed with AIDS; though her viral load has not yet been tested, her CD4 is 81. The family is in a panic about what to do; imported medicine costs a fortune here, so we are their only hope for the prolonging of the mother's life.

Here is our question: at age 64, with this CD4 count, how long does she have, even with normal treatment? What do you guys recommend for us?

Thanks so much for your help.


Jesse Hamilton Instructor, Yunnan University, Yunnan, China

Vice-President, China-American Education Foundation

On behalf of: Andy Hamilton Petra Energy Corporation

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

These cases point out the growing realization of the extent of the epidemic in China.

As for treatments-- yes, she can have a good response to therapy. I'm not sure what types of medications are available in China, but I'd certainly recommend trying to start her on a three drug regimen of two nucleosides and either a NNRTI or protease inhibitor.

With successful treatment, I'd expect her to improve clinically,though the actual length of life is very difficult to predict.

Good luck. BY

delta 32 gene mutation info
Scare of meds

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint