Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Lab results
Mar 12, 2003

I was diagnosed two years ago. Everytime I get my lab results I get very confused. My viral load is 4600 and my t-cells are 780. Three months ago my viral load was only 1000 and my t-cells where 950. Right before I got my last results I had kidney stone surgery and had a terrible cold. Could this be the reason for the difference to my viral load and t-cells?

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your question.

I don't think that there are dramatic differences between the two set so labs- indeed we see quite a bit of absolute variation in CD4 counts, particularly among persons, like yourself, with high counts. A quick check of the CD4% will probably show only modest differences.

Yes, stressors, like surgery or infections can also cause some minor changes in counts- it could be that either the kidney stones or a bad cold could influence CD4 or viral loads. -BY

Previous
early treament window
Next
toxicity

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.