Recent HIV infection (high levels) to AIDS
Mar 9, 2003
I was recently diagnosed with HIV (still in the acute phase). My initial CD4 count was 139 and my initial viral load was over 750,000. What is known about the progression from HIV to AIDS for someone with such a large amount of the virus upon initial infection?
Response from Dr. Young
For patients with chronic infection (after the acute phase), persons with high viral loads are at greater risk of rapid CD4 cell decline and (independently) greater risk of having HIV disease progression and/or AIDS defining-illnesses.
Hope this helps, BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Condom Was Used But I'm Still Afraid Of Hiv
- When Having Hpv Should You Use A Condom?
- What Is There That Has Symptoms Similar To Genital Herpes?
- What Is The Treatment For Hair Loss From Syphilis?
- Could Very Small Bumps Be Genital Warts
- Risk Using No Condom When One Partner Has Herpes But Not On An Outbreak
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.