UTI Symptom?

Thank you very much for your kindness in taking the time to answer my question on whether UTI was an ARS symptom, ( I copy that below). I do have a followup if you will please Im trying to work up the courage to take a test as you suggest to put it ALL behind me for good, but then it dawned on me I had one blood test already---.As luck would have it the ONE day i had the fever and felt really tried was the day i was at my doctors for followup on UTI(urinary tract infection ) when i mentioned my fever and fatigue he took a "complete blood workup" just to check there wasnt something else(.This was5- 6 weeks out from my unprotected vaginal sex as you correctly guessed) two days later they called to tell me it showed nothing.By that time i already felt fine( to be precise I had fatigue and a fever of 101-102 for one day, from when I woke up in morning to very mild fever ,which responded to ibuprofen, before i went to bed , all told,no more than 24 hrs ,or less, Irested and slept for that day and after one good nites sleep It was all gone -just that one day of symptom and the next day I felt GREAT ,no fever or fatigue since--and have been just fine since and that was weeks ago now.---) . He and I wrote it off to " some "bug" that passed around. Was this blood test sufficient? Sorry for my ignorance .as I mentioned below i didnt have any real concern,until I started surfing around re "flu" and stumbled on ARS appearing 2-4 weeks out and paniced due to the UTI. Again thanks,and by the way your prescription for condoms for sex is one prescription I WILL ALWAYS FILL--ALWAYS.

UTI Symptom ?? Posted: Jan 23, 2003

Im a female who had unprotected vainal sex--with someone who later admitted he had one male sexual experience.hes had no symptoms and says he had no reason to suspect any problem --the guy he was with was also heterosexual,had no reason to suspect he had been exposed ,and in any case there was no ejaculation inviolved -- very brief anal(less than a minute. I came down with a UTI 3 weeks later,Ive had these before ,about three times,not related to this experience,Some went on for weeks with repeated antibiotics traetments and the resultant yeast complications. Same thing here.Doctors urine tests showed bacteria (probably from anal fecal matter,possibly from the vaginal sex--I did rear entry vaginal position, ),he also cited holiday stress,poor diet,high sugar,etc. took two weeks to clear up with treatment with antibiotics and resultant yeast (again related directly to the anti biotic--amoxicllin and bactrim.At the very end I felt really tired for one day with 101 fever--but it was gone in one day and next day I felt great.I assumed this was all OK and wasnt worried until i read about ARS symptoms within 2-4 weeks.Can this UTI be a symptom ?? Ive had nothing else,no "flulike" problems, or swollen lymphs, no chills,no nite sweats etc--just this UTI ---I cant sleep now and am immoblized with fear, Is Urinary tract symptom ARS!!!

Hi-

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are not a sign of acute HIV infection. As your doctor said, during sex germs that can cause UTIs can get introduced into the urinary tract causing infection.

Likewise, your less than a day of fever and fatigue is atypical for acute HIV.

I suggest you get an HIV antibody test. It will let you know what your status is now and as it seems like your exposure was over 6 weeks ago it will tell you whether you were infected during this experience (highly unlikely).

Of course, it goes without saying that all this angst could have been avoided if you used condoms. They work and can provide relief later on when you get to know a bit more about your partner than you knew the night before. DW

Hi

Routine blood work most likely would not pick up signs of early HIV. An HIV antibody test is what you need to get. Good luck - DW

PCP prophylaxis
Sustiva - change from 3 to 1 a day