Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Average Rise in CD4 count

I was diagonosed with HIV last year and have been on a regimen of Sustiva and Combivir. My initial CD4 count was 35, second test was 54, third was 115, most recent was 150. ARe the rises in CD4 counts this small or does it vary? Thank you.

The rate at which CD4 cells return after the initiation of HIV medication is variable and depends on several known and unknown factors including what your count is before starting the medication.

Generally, the lower the CD4 cell count is before starting treatment the less robust the response. This is most true for those who had counts below 100 prior to HIV therapy.

In addition, many people with the lowest counts get an initial rise in CD4 cells but then hits a 'ceiling' usually below 200 cells/uL at which the count stays.

In your case, however, I think things look good. Your counts are almost 5 times what they were and demonstrate a continued rise. DW

Testing after 23 weeks
Please Help Me its Urgent