Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Am I in denial?
Feb 23, 2003

Dr. Wohl...thanks for your feedback on my earlier post regarding my HIV test. You're right about renting a comedy flick and wait for the test result. I'm happy to say that the test came back NEGATIVE!!! What a relieve!

Anyway, I have another one question, but this is unrelated to HIV. My problem started when I tried to suppress the cold sore (Herpes simplex) with Valtrex. I consulted with a pharmacist about some expired Valtrex that I had and he told me that it's Ok to use them. Two weeks into the course, I started to experience all kinds of problems and ended up in the emergency room serveral times due to serious respitory problems. My family doctor ran a series of blood tests, TB test and numberous chest x-rays and all came back negative.

I never have a problem with shortness of breath thoughout my adult life until I started taking a combination of out dated Valtrex and over the counter medications.

Do you know if taking expired medications can lead to my breathing problem? Thanks for your feedback.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi

Glad about your HIV test. As far as a bad reaction to expired Valtrex, I think this is unlikely. Your cold sore may have been a sign of a brewing respiratory tract infection which occured coincidentally with your taking teh medication. DW

Previous
Thanks...
Next
Testing after 23 weeks

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.