2nd Opinion on STI

Here are my stats: Poz for 9 years. Initially started therapy when CD4 was 750. First VL test was 64,000 in 1998. After finding a combo that I could tolerate (Norvir/Fortavase/Ziagen/Zerit) I stayed undetectable for the last 5 years, with cd4 counts hovering around 1000. After a lot of research, my doc and I came to the conclusion that I could take a STI. After the first 3 months, VL was 2335 - cd4 1081. After the second 3months, VL was 36,821 and CD4 730. The second elevation/drop was quite a surprise and spooked me. Doc wants to wait and see what happens in another 2 months. I realize that I'm still in a safe zone, but my fear is that I don't want to compromise my immune system anymore than I need to. Do you agree with what my doc and I are doing? Also, If I were to fall below 500 and restart therapy, is it possible to get back to where I once was in the 1000 cd4 area? I feel like such a guinea pig in this whole process, but I realize that we are all pioneers in regards to STI and that our results inform the next generation's choices.

Response from Dr. Boyle

I agree with your doctor. Your T cells are still within the normal range and your viral load (which I would not pay that much attention to anyway) is pretty low. When you restart therapy, your T cells are likely to signficantly rebound (probably back to where you were). So, if I were you, I would relax a little and enjoy being off the medications.

Epivir Once Daily
Confused on Cocktail