|Blood HIV vs Semen HIV concentrations
Feb 13, 2003
My viral load has been undetectable for about 9 months now on a combination of Kaletra, Viread and Zerit. While I know my viral load from blood is undetectable, what does this mean as far as semen is concerned? Obviously a semen sample was not taken, but I have heard that semen concentrations of HIV are often higher than that in the blood.
| Response from Dr. Young
Thanks for the question.
The blood/semen issue is not really fully characterized, and the answer would likely depend on specifics about the drug regimen. To this extent, I really can't answer your particular situation, only to say that I'd expect your semen viral load to be very low (I cannot say if it is undetectable or present). -BY
Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS
- Loose Stool After Protected Anal Sex Sign Of HIV AIDS
- Loose Stool After Swallowing Sperm Worried I Have HIV
- Red Spots After Giving Oral Sex What Are The Chances Of HIV
- Stinging Pain After Getting Head Worried I Have HIV
- Tingling In Fingers After Touching Vaginal Secretions Worried I Have HIV
- Chances Of Getting Cervical Cancer If You Are Monogamous
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.