Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

P24negative - response

Dear Dr, I was interested in your response to the P24 negative question, I have been led to believe a similar type of senerio, whereby the P24 antigen is detectable in the early stages when virus is replicating and becomes harder to detect after the generation of antibodies due to the antibody effect on HIV at the start of the illness.

My question is - assuming the antigens were at a high enough level to be detected in the early stages of infection, would you expect that either antigens or antibodies be present during the first 6 months, the only time no detection would be possible for either would be in the very early stages, i.e. the first few weeks?

My interest is due to the fact that at 20 weeks neither were present in my tests, and I am trying to console myself that at least one would have shown up by now, so I must be ok, I am trying to convince myself that there is no gap between the antigen being detectable and then the antibodies being detectable.

Keep up the good work and thanks for reading my question.

Thanks for your question and kind words.

I think that your statement is correct-- I'm sure that there are always exceptions, but in general, one of the tests should be positive. -BY

p24negative
Restarting Treatment