I need your help

My name is Marcos and I am HIV+ since 1999. I didn't start meds yet. My doctor wants to prescribe me Estavudina 40mg+lamivudine 150mg+efavirenz 200mg. In 1999, my VL was 140.000 -CD4= 337 and CD8=871. In the year 2000 VL=77.000, CD4=287 CD8=650. In 2001, VL=120.000, CD4=282 and CD8 817. In December/2002, my last exam, VL=83.300 and CD4 281. Do you really agree that it is time to start meds? I don't fancy to do it, I feel good, but my doctor said that it is the best thing to do and I am confused. I only collected exams once a year, because here in Brazil it takes a long time and it is not possible to do it very often. Sorry about my English. Thanks, Marcos.

Dear Marcos,

Given the information you provide I am a bit less worried than your doctor. If you are feeling well, have not lost weight, have not experienced infections, and are generally inclined to not start HIV treatment just yet, I would consider waiting a little bit longer before starting therapy.

There continues to be a lack of agreement about when to start HIV therapy. Some think when the CD4 cell count hits 350, others initiate treatment when the counts hit 200. You are in the middle. If you can get another CD4 cell count in 6 months, I would think about waiting. If you can only get them every year then you might consider starting treatment now.

The choice of stavudine, lamivudine and efavirenz is not bad and may be the most available in Brazil. Recently a study comparing this combination to tenofovir, lamivudine and efavirenz found the two combinations to be equally as successful in getting the virus under control. There were more problems with neuropathy and elevated lipids in the stavudine arm, however. Let us know what you decide. DW

Infected 2 weeks ago: PLEASE HELP
hiv+