Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Just Wondering

What are the statistics on people that follow their drug regiment eat well and have regular doctors visits/lab work; on passing away of natural causes rather than an HIV/AIDS related illness? Im 40 recently diagnosed and just wondering.

It's difficult to answer your question with a lot of certainty-- much depends on your current CD4 cell count and viral load; whether you've been infected with drug-resistant virus or have adequate access to medications and qualified doctors.

Assuming that you've been recently infected, I would counsel you with the sense that the overall prognosis is very good and that decades of survival are possible. This being the case, the possibility of dying of "natural causes" is very real-- that means that in practical terms that I am counseling my patients about smoking cessation, good diet and exercise and wearing their seat belts- as these small things have significant life expectancy implications for my HIV-infected adults. -BY

LogVL
lymphadenopathy & fatigue