morning after pill

If I believe that I was potentially exposed to the HIV virus last night, is there any "morning-after" treatment that I can take to decrease my odds of actually getting HIV?

Post exposure prophylaxis (PEP), meaning giving people HIV medications after an exposure, is commonly used in cases of potential occupational HIV exposure such as a needle stick injury. PEP has been used after possible sexual exposure to HIV most commonly after a sexual assault.

In some places PEP after non-rape sexual exposure is being practiced. There are no good data to indicate this works. San Francisco is one city where PEP after sexual exposure is widely available through the health dept.

If you live in the US, I'd talk to your local health department and/or go to an emergency room of a major hospital to discuss the magnitude of your risk and your options. DW

cure for AIDS
madman: sustiva or viramune