Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

NIGHT SWEATS
Jan 23, 2003

I believe that a strain of hiv has been unleashed by terrorists into our public. It is not detectable by testing YET...and I expect a fair number of the "worried well" will actually progress to aids.....hope I'm wrong...but been seeing ALOT of worried well recently. NOT JUST A NUT.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Maybe, but the thing is that as long as there has been a virus known as HIV there has been the worried well. It makes sense. In each of the many emails I receive here at this site from people convinced they have HIV despite the preponderance of data that argues otherwise, the writer confesses to have participated in activity they describe as unsafe, risky or foolish. HIV is sexually transmitted, incurable and has few if any early hallmark signs. People do things they feel guilty about and convince themselves that retribution will come in the form of this most dread of STDs.

The remorseful even develop sweats, rashes and "swollen" lymph nodes no one else can feel. They examine their tongues in the mirror several times a day and start to think that perhaps there's a bit more white on the top than there was the last time - further feeding their role as penitent.

We live in an age where we are simultaneously urged to be impulsive and feel ashamed. We indulge time and time again and then wait for the lightening to strike. I think this is why you and I are seeing more worried well. Either that or, like most things I read about nowadays, its all because of the terrorists. DW

Previous
Severe Rash on legs!
Next
Hola...

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.