Severe Rash on legs!

Dr. Young: Hi. I have very dry skin and a rash on both my inner thighs. Will HIV meds make this condition go away? I am have just been handed a HIV positive result so have no idea about viral load or CD4 count yet. Any reply would be helpful. Thank you. William

Dear William- Rashes and dry skin are more common among persons with HIV infection. While it could be that treatment of the HIV with antiretroviral medications could improve your rash, it is probably prudent that the rash be evaluated on its own merit. The location of the rash suggests that it could be a yeast infection-- treatment of this (if this is the correct diagnosis) is very easy and usually results in a rapid improvment.

As for dry skin, here in Colorado, we (HIV+ and HIV-) are plagued with the condition, especially in the winter. I've long recommended using any cheap emolient-- turns out the petroleum jelly (*Vaseline) or even *Crisco works great.

Good luck, let us know how you do in the months to come.-BY

CHRONIC MONO
NIGHT SWEATS