Acute HIV

I am currently in the acute phase of HIV. My HIV antibody test was negative, however, my CD4 count was 139 and my viral load was over 750,000 ("probably in the millions", according to my doctor). I was hospitalized for 7 days during this phase to treat severe flu-like symptoms such as nauseau, vomtting and pain. I was started on a regimen that consists of sustiva and combivir. What are the side effects of these drugs and is there a possibly that my regimen can be changed (sustiva is not a very friendly drug)?

Hi-

Sustiva, or efavirenz, can cause some weird feelings of being a bit out-of-it, disoriented or 'foggy headed'. In addition, patients may experience vivid dreams. These dreams are usually not nightmares (more like your third grade teacher in leather - Yikes!). Some people can get a rash on the drug and liver problems are an infrequent but important side effect. Generally, the strange feelings/thinking and dream stuff subsides after a few weeks. However, some people find this intolerable or have persistent problems which lead them to switch to alternative medication.

Combivir is a combination of AZT and 3TC. AZT can drop red blood cell counts in the blood. Some people can also get muscle aches which can be serious and headaches and fatigue are not uncommon. 3TC is pretty well tolerated.

How exactly to treat people who are discovered to be acutely HIV infected is not clear. Your high viral load is not unusual during acute HIV and likely would have dropped to some 'set' level later on if you had not started therapy. Data indicate that taking HIV drugs early, as you have, can make that set point even lower. Whether you need to be treated for 6 months, a year or from now on is not known but is the topic of investigation.

Make sure you are seeing a very knowledgeable HIV clinician so that you can make the best decisions about your on going care. DW

caracteristics of illness
14 male teen may have hiv