The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

acute syndrom (going crazy)

Jan 13, 2003

Dear David, 8 weeks ago I had (vaginal) sex with a girl I know very well. We had unprotected sex for 4/5 minutes. She is very low-risk, and so am I. But later she confessed that 9 years ago she was raped by a classmate in a party (she was 17 then). She never did an HIV test (she doesn't want to do it), she never showed any sinthoms. I know about the ARS. A week after I started having some night sweats and very light waist pain (though I must say I was extremely stessed). I also had some light sore throat, I went to 3 doctors, they all said my throat looked perfect. I did NOT showed any of these: fever, swollen lymph glands, rash, nausea, diarrea, headache. I also did blood counts at weeks 4,5 and 7, always: red cells OK, Leucocyths 7500/7800, lymphocits 28/32, no trombocitopenia (plaquets 220.000), Erithrosed 2/4 mm per hour. I did an ecography: spleen and liver both OK. I am very nervous. honestly, would you consider this as a possible acute syndrome, despite no fever, swollen glands and perfect blood count? Thanks a lot, Esteban.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Esteban, you are probably not experiencing acute HIV infection. My diagnosis is acute guilt syndrome (AGS).

If you need more convincing, go and get an HIV antibody test in 3 months. If it is negative you are fine. I mean it. If your test is negative in 3 months you are NOT HIV infected. DW

First time treatment
Tale Tale signs for HIV?

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

 Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint