First time treatment

I have just decided to go under treatment, in six weeks, it will be trizivir & viread combo, have been infected since 1987, what are the side effects that I should I expect, also I was recently diagnosed with chronic hepatitis b.

Thanks for your question.

The combination of Trizivir (ZDV/3TC/abacavir) and tenovofovir (Viread) has not yet been studied, but from simple extrapolation from other studies, this should prove to be a very potent and simple to take, quad-nuke regimen (three pills, total, per day).

It is likely that the side effects should be the addition of Trizivir's effects with the minimal effects of tenofovir, as such the principle issues will be related to the side effects of ZDV- fatigue, headache for some, occasionally, anemia and for abacavir- the well characterized allergic reaction that occurs in about 3- to 5% of persons.

The combination of 3TC and tenofovir should also be very effective in control of hepatitis B, since both drugs have activity against the virus.

Overall, I'd suspect that the regimen should do very well, though understand a certain degree of uncertainty, only because of the nature of a new combination. Keep us informed about how you do-- your side effects and how the drugs work for your viruses-- I'm sure that our readers will be interested.

Good luck. -BY

TIME TO START TREATMENT?
acute syndrom (going crazy)