Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Long term infected treatment niave
Jan 6, 2003

This month 1/03 will be my 17th year of infection. I am physically asymptomatic. I have been in several research studies but have been on no medication except for 3Tc for one year in a study. My CD4 count is in the low 300 range and viral load is around 50,000-this has been a constant for many years. I am reticent about starting meds but also realize the operative word in long term progressor is PROGESSOR. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I have not found much research on starting therapy for long term infected, treatment naive, people. Your opinions please!

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi

The major decision, I feel, you have to make is at what point do you say 'Oy vey!' By this I mean, at what CD4 cell count would you feel your count was too low for comfort? 250?, 200? Find that number. If it is 299, then its time to start picking out the colors of your antiretrovirals. If lower, wait.

Can anyone guarantee that having 50,000 little HIV virions running around your system is not bad for your health, no. But, you have done well up until now and therapy as we all know, has down sides too. The goal is to find the point at which the benefits of therapy outweigh the risks. My opinion, find your point. DW

Previous
Optimistic Timeframes
Next
aids & hiv

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.