Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

Long term infected treatment niave

This month 1/03 will be my 17th year of infection. I am physically asymptomatic. I have been in several research studies but have been on no medication except for 3Tc for one year in a study. My CD4 count is in the low 300 range and viral load is around 50,000-this has been a constant for many years. I am reticent about starting meds but also realize the operative word in long term progressor is PROGESSOR. My philosophy is "if it ain't broke don't fix it." I have not found much research on starting therapy for long term infected, treatment naive, people. Your opinions please!

Hi

The major decision, I feel, you have to make is at what point do you say 'Oy vey!' By this I mean, at what CD4 cell count would you feel your count was too low for comfort? 250?, 200? Find that number. If it is 299, then its time to start picking out the colors of your antiretrovirals. If lower, wait.

Can anyone guarantee that having 50,000 little HIV virions running around your system is not bad for your health, no. But, you have done well up until now and therapy as we all know, has down sides too. The goal is to find the point at which the benefits of therapy outweigh the risks. My opinion, find your point. DW

Optimistic Timeframes
aids & hiv