2003 Update and question for David

I wanted to thank you for your answers to my questions over the last few months. My questions have centered on those of us with viral symptoms but test HIV negitive. In looking over many of the questions sent in to the body there are a good number that have an exposure get sick two weeks after and stay sick but over the course of the next year never test positive any HIV tests. My first question is I wonder what the eventual outcome is for these individuals? My second question conserns myself as my current cold has lasted over 2 months and now getting worse.(started out with just nasal drainage and now a cough is developing. I honestly don't know where to go. A cold that never goes away is not normal.I have gone the internist and rhemoltologist route as you suggested but they have come up with nothing. There is no doubt I feel my immune system is the problem. Please excuse the length of this but here are the details of a terrible six months.

I have had complete physicals yearly and my past medical history includes:

1. Overweight 2. Sleep Apnea (on C-pap machine) 3. High Insulin (was treated years ago and level returned to normal. Insulin level was checked in May 2002 was fine. 4. Triglyseride levels slightly elevated but would come down with low carb diet 5. High Blood Pressure (controlled with Tenormin for 15 years 50mg) 6. Had a couple attacks of gout (take Allopurinol 100mg no further problems) 7. Sexual History Divorced Heterosexual, No STD's 3 girlfriends over last 10 years.

July 15, 2002

I made an error in judgment on this day and had a low risk exposure with a woman.

July 28, 2002 (Symptoms started and went on for 2 months)

From this day on is when my health changed: None of the symptoms below had I ever had if my life before.

1. The outside of my lips changed: sores and at the corners of my lips cracks and inside my mouth a sore appeared.

2. When I took a shower the water burned my eyes. Water I would drink from my kitchen faucet would taste different (sometimes it would taste over chlorinated some times sweet.)

3. Joint pains started in feet and eventually severe in elbow and knee

4. My body for the next 8 weeks went through a violent reaction.

5. Sweating, I never had a fever but my head would just start sweating during the day to the point that my hair was drenched.

6. Watery diarrhea, This was everyday usually once or twice a day

7. Dry mouth, sore throat, burning tongue, Everyday and at times would wake up in the night without any saliva in my mouth.

8. Glands or lymph nodes in the body felt swollen.

9. Mucus membranes more sensitive and feel different

Jan.2003 symptoms : 1. A cold that never goes away, phlegm and nasal,sneeze Today Jan.2003 2. Eyes burn and are blurry sometimes 3. Bowel movements are loose and never returned to normal 4. Some mild joint pain 5. Athlete's foot worse than ever had it 6. When I get a cut , seems to heal slower. 7. Still have dry mouth some mild burning tongue, mouth sores 8. chest feels funny like an infection is going to settle there

My take: Is that I contracted a virus, it made me very ill for 2 months, my body has not cleared the virus just gotten used to having it around... It is a virus that has depressed my immune system in some fashion... But the only answer I get is that I have some virus and will get better. It has been 6 months and I have not gotten better, when this all started I did not have a cold everyday or eye problems everyday. My concern is that I am not being treated or monitored for an immune disorder by any medical professional based on the fact I am HIV negitive, and that my health will continue to detoirate without intervention.

The doctor visits and the blood tests.

When my body had such a violent reaction , my first thought of was that I was in the acute infection phase of HIV. So during the past 6 months I have had probably 50 office visits and 25 blood draws from internists, rheumotoligists, and infectious disease specialists. {you can probably be sure if there was a blood test available(std's, autoimmune, infectious diseases) I had it done}

Selected Blood Tests:

HIV Results: over the course of 6 months 8 Hiv 1 elisa tests, 1 Hiv 2 elisa test , 1 Hiv 1&2 & strain O home test, 1 pcr dna branch test , 2 RNA viral load tests. All tests negitive

Sed Rate:

September 50 October 30 November 20 December 10

CD 4:

August 807 54 September 658 51 October 767 54 November 873 51 December 637 54

C Reactive Protein October 2.3 December .50

Insulin and Trygliserides December extreamly high taking: glocophage

Do you have any reccomendation as to where I can go for an immune disorder that is caused by a virus other than HIV?

Whew! That is some history. I think you have done an excellent job at trying to find out what is going on with your health. As you say, it is pretty clear you do not have HIV infection. In addition, your CD4 cell count, at least, indicates that that aspect of your immune system is fine. I am sorry that I can not add much more to the medical opinions you have sought and received. The symptoms you describe are fairly nonspecific, although certainly bothersome, and don't ring any bells. They would also be very odd for recent HIV infection.

In my experience, mystery illnesses do one of two things - they either get worse and declare themselves or they go away. I am sorry I am not more help - DW

Combivir + ddl
Optimistic Timeframes