Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Benefit from Beginning HAART with CD4's 300-350?
Jan 2, 2003

I estimate I contracted HIV in February or March of this past year. In September doctors at a local clinical trials unit performed a detuned assay and informed me I was "chronically infected" (more than 6 months?) My CD4 counts at the time were only 328, with a viral load of 41,000. The same research physicians recommended I begin HAART. My personal physician did not offer or recommend I start the meds yet. Here, three months later, my CD4 counts are 319, with a reduced viral load of 1,293.

My BIG question: Is there enough evidence to warrant beginning HAART in the 300-350 CD4 count range for any hoped-for preservation of the immune system? Could my immune system be benefitting from taking meds now?

Thanks for your help,

Kaeb

Response from Dr. Wohl

Dear Kaeb,

There is currently some debate about at what exact CD4 cell count is therapy best started. The data are pretty clear that if you start at a count below 200 your chance of having something bad happen is higher. The data get a bit murkier when we are talking about counts between 200 and 350. Part of the problem is that the studies we are being guided by were designed to answer other questions and are limited by relatively short term follow-up.

For many starting at counts around 300 or so provides a bit of a comfort zone before the 200 line in the sand. And, some (but not all) studies do show benefit when HIV therapy starts at counts in this range. For others, delaying therapy until the last minute seems most attractive.

If you have signs or symptoms of HIV infection (fevers, night sweats, loss of 10% or more of ideal body weight, thrush, etc) therapy may be warranted. I'd also check that viral load again. A drop form 41,000 to 1,200 is a bit odd. This is important because the lower your viral load the slower your CD4 cell counts will drop. When in doubt, wait, check the numbers and see. DW

Previous
Risky Profession?
Next
questioning my doctor's advice

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.