Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Need meds treatment advice
Dec 29, 2002

I have been taking Trizivir and Sustiva since beginning treatment. My cd4 count was 24 at the start and now hovers around 100 (1 year)while my VL remains undectable. My doctor and I think the failure of the cd4 counts to rise is due to AZT. Question: what can I do to get my cd4 count better than 100? I have not ever been on any other treatment regimen. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

It's possible that the AZT is holding you back, and you might consider changing the AZT to stavudine or tenofovir and seeing what happens. However, it might not be the AZT since some patients just have a very slow rise (or in some cases, no rise) in CD4 count. If you don't get a rise with the switch off AZT, some medications have been shown to help to increase CD4 counts, including IL-2 and human growth hormone, and you should discuss these options with your doctor.

Previous
failing regimen and poor quality of life
Next
Treatment Options

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.