Need meds treatment advice

I have been taking Trizivir and Sustiva since beginning treatment. My cd4 count was 24 at the start and now hovers around 100 (1 year)while my VL remains undectable. My doctor and I think the failure of the cd4 counts to rise is due to AZT. Question: what can I do to get my cd4 count better than 100? I have not ever been on any other treatment regimen. Thanks.

Response from Dr. Boyle

It's possible that the AZT is holding you back, and you might consider changing the AZT to stavudine or tenofovir and seeing what happens. However, it might not be the AZT since some patients just have a very slow rise (or in some cases, no rise) in CD4 count. If you don't get a rise with the switch off AZT, some medications have been shown to help to increase CD4 counts, including IL-2 and human growth hormone, and you should discuss these options with your doctor.

failing regimen and poor quality of life
Treatment Options