Treatment Naive No Longer

Thank you, Dr. Wohl, for your answer to my Nov. 11th question regarding Trizivir and Viread. I ended up just starting with the Trizivir and within 12 days had a reaction to the Abacavir. I had over 20 canker sores in my mouth! I stopped the Trizivir immediately and have waited 2 1/2 weeks for the cankers to go away. The last FINALLY disappeared late last week. Now I start Combivir and Sustiva. I have been trying to read the effects of Sustiva - and I don't think they sound pretty. However, I was encouraged by the comments you've made about it being a good first line treatment. Just when the nausea from the AZT was starting to dissapate, I get the cankers - now I have to start the AZT again... I hope this one works better as I was thinking I was doing well with the Abacavir. Is there a "best time" to take the Sustiva? Do I have to take it at the same time each night if I don't go to bed at the same time nightly? Is it "normal" to only last 12 days on a drug? I'm worried about the imposed "holiday" I just had... Will it cause a problem?

Thank you and Merry Christmas...

Jill

Hi Jill-

It is too bad that your first experience with HIV therapy turned out to be so negative. Your reaction to the medications was somewhat unusual. I don't think I have seen canker sores develop as a side effect of a specific HIV med. Canker sores are strange things. They are not clearly caused by any one germ and respond to things that effect the immune system. It could be the sores were a reaction to your immune system kicking into gear, although I can't say for sure it was not one of your medications.

I don't think your starting therapy and then stopping cold turkey will risk drug resistance or any other problems.

Regarding the Combivir and Sustiva, I would take the Sustiva at night. This helps in case the drug makes you feel a little out of it or 'off'. I'd recommend you aim to try and take it about within about 22 to 26 hours after your last dose. If the neurologic side effects Sustiva turns out to be unbearable, Viramune is a fine alternative. Good luck - DW

Gp140deltaCFI ......
Should I start meds