Gp140deltaCFI ......

Dr.,

I've been reading about the future generation of vaccines and therapeutic immunizations and came across some interesting news on this new molecule.

Can you provide us with any recent updates and convey the level of optimism in the research world? Are we any closer to finding the magic bullet?

Thank you, forever optimistic.

Thanks for your question. There are a number of candidate vaccines under intensive investigation. I'd direct your attention to conference and meeting coverage at TheBody for the most up to date information about this and other drug-discovery details.

Unfortunately, most are in the preclinical (not yet in humans) or in the phase I stage of human trials. Because of this, I'd think that while cautious optimism is reasonable; the real world implementation of an effective therapeutic or preventive vaccination strategy is still several years away.

Clearly, the pipeline for new products in HIV is continuing to produce new drugs and drugs for new HIV targets, like cell fusion and HIV integrase (drugs likely to be approved, and entering efficacy trials, respectively).

Unfortunately, until we have a "magic bullet", we have to rely on strategies that can work, but are difficult in the real world-- prevention of transmission and appropriate administration of the potent medications that we already have for HIV.

Happy holidays- BY

Am I more susceptible to...
Treatment Naive No Longer