Viread/Videx/Sustiva

Sorry, one more question. Thank you for the answer to my previous question regarding Viread/Videx taken together. I should have also asked the following:

How effective is taking Videx, Viread and Sustiva together? If I am 99 or higher compliant....are there studies regarding the long term effect? Do you believe that taking this combination is as effective as taking Epivir, Sustiva, Ziagen, and Zerit all in one day? Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Your answers provide a fantastic way to discuss things with my doctor in further detail!!!!!

Thanks for your reply.

There are no studies that have used the combination of ddI/tenofovir/efavirenz-- nevertheless, the combination should be very potent and the low pill count and once-daily dosing should enhance adherence.

The best studied combination with tenofovir (in treatment naive persons) is tenofovir/3TC/efavirenz-- in a study called GS (for Gilead Sciences) 903. The results of this study have been presented at this year's ICAAC and European meetings (see meeting coverage at TheBody for additional details). The results of this study have shown excellent tolerability and side effect profiles of the regimen.

As for the alternative regimen of d4T/abacavir/3TC/efavirenz-- I'm sure that this has not been studied in any detail, though studies are ongoing to evaluate the combination of Trizivir (AZT/3TC/abacavir) with efavirenz. The former regimen would currently be a twice-daily regimen with 7 pills total, whereas the later would be a total of 3 pills daily). Once daily d4T and once-daily abacavir are in clinical studies and may see FDA approval in the near- to intermediate-term future, but until that time and careful review of the scientific data, I'd be cautious about this dosing.

Thanks for your warm comments. Happy holidays. BY

Hep B treatment
Newly infected