Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viread/Videx/Sustiva
Dec 22, 2002

Sorry, one more question. Thank you for the answer to my previous question regarding Viread/Videx taken together. I should have also asked the following:

How effective is taking Videx, Viread and Sustiva together? If I am 99 or higher compliant....are there studies regarding the long term effect? Do you believe that taking this combination is as effective as taking Epivir, Sustiva, Ziagen, and Zerit all in one day? Thanks and HAPPY HOLIDAYS! Your answers provide a fantastic way to discuss things with my doctor in further detail!!!!!

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your reply.

There are no studies that have used the combination of ddI/tenofovir/efavirenz-- nevertheless, the combination should be very potent and the low pill count and once-daily dosing should enhance adherence.

The best studied combination with tenofovir (in treatment naive persons) is tenofovir/3TC/efavirenz-- in a study called GS (for Gilead Sciences) 903. The results of this study have been presented at this year's ICAAC and European meetings (see meeting coverage at TheBody for additional details). The results of this study have shown excellent tolerability and side effect profiles of the regimen.

As for the alternative regimen of d4T/abacavir/3TC/efavirenz-- I'm sure that this has not been studied in any detail, though studies are ongoing to evaluate the combination of Trizivir (AZT/3TC/abacavir) with efavirenz. The former regimen would currently be a twice-daily regimen with 7 pills total, whereas the later would be a total of 3 pills daily). Once daily d4T and once-daily abacavir are in clinical studies and may see FDA approval in the near- to intermediate-term future, but until that time and careful review of the scientific data, I'd be cautious about this dosing.

Thanks for your warm comments. Happy holidays. BY

Previous
Hep B treatment
Next
Newly infected

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.