Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

CD4 not responsive

Dear Doctors, I began HARRT on 10/12/02, with initial numbers as follows: CD4 434 CD4 15, viral load at 48000. I started with combivir and sustiva. On 11/6/02 my bloodwork came back with a CD4 352 CD4 18 and a viral load of 60. My doctor says the results for viral load are great, but is "not happy" with the CD4 numbers. His colleague, however, believes I have had great results after 4 weeks on therapy and that my CD4 will just take a longer time to rebound. Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

I would side with the partner.

The rise in CD4 cells after starting therapy often is slower to appear than the very dramatic changes in viral load, especially after only one month. In fact, if you look at your CD4 cell percentage, it has actually gone up 3 points (or 20%). CD4 cell rises take time and patience to see-- stay in the game, I'm certain that it should increase.

Let us know how things go. -BY

Drug Trials
Confused