Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Viral load drop with Combivir/Sustiva
Dec 20, 2002

One week ago, I began treatment for the first time using the Combivir/Sustiva regimen. My last viral load was 22,300, and my t-cell count was 179. In general, assuming treatment is effective, how quickly will the viral load drop? Should I expect a huge initial decrease at my two-week follow up, and then a more gradual decline to undetectable (good case scenario, of course)?

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question.

The combination that you're taking has been used with considerable success for the past several years and has been shown to be very potent and tolerable.

Assuming that your virus was wild type (drug susceptible) when you started treatment, we usually expect about a 1 log (or 90%) reduction in viral load after 2-4 weeks on therapy. It is not unusual to see greater drops, even 95-98% reductions. If this is so, then we'd expect your viral load to be down to something around 2000.

Yes, viral loads drop fastest in the first weeks of treatment, followed by a second-phase, slower decline to undetectable levels (if not achieved in the first weeks).

Hope this helps, -BY

Previous
HusbandHIV+ and WifeHIV- III
Next
Puzzled

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.