nursing student

Hi, I am a 2nd year nursing student, who just found that I was HIV+, my CD4 is 780, and my VL is undetected. I have no S&S, I wanted to know if you knew my rights. Can I still be a nurse. Does a new employer have the right to know about my HIV status. I've read that they don't. That also my doctor does not have to release any of my HIV history, if I don't want him to. Could you please help.

Hi-

HIV infected people can still be nurses and physicians. A new employer need not know about your HIV status. Currently, a physician cannot release your medical history to a third party unless you provide permission.

I suggest you also ask this question to the experts at the Workplace and Insurance Forum on The Body.com at: http://www.thebody.com/Forums/AIDS/Workplace/ as they may be able to provide details and inform you of any exceptions. By the way, your CD4 cell count wouldn't happen to be 777, would it? Good luck - DW.

HIV+ Here Again
HIV Treatment