Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

My Dr says I need to test another year
Dec 8, 2002

Dear Dr,

Following a one time possible exposure to HIV on the advice of my GP I have had the following testing carried out to 1 year post exposure. At this stage I am at my wits end and would really appreciate your advice. My doctor sya that you can never be sure that you are not infected with HIV and has recommended another years testing indentical to the past year. At this stage I am a mental wreck and have begun doing my own research on the internet. I no nothing of what these tests mean and have been told by my doctor that i could have a delayed antibody response to HIV..he says this has happened a number of times and for no apparent reason. I am other wise perfectly healthy as far as I know however my mental health is beginning to suffer greatly...I really don't know how much longer I can hold on. I have sourced information regarding delayed seroconversion and wish to know wether the tests that I have taken rule this out and if the tests cover all subtypes of HIV. Is the window period of 3 months really definitive as the advice I have been given disagrees with this. I feel that maybe you can put an end to this nightmare for me. Is there any ambiguity regarding HIV testing and can someone ever be completly sure that in fact they are HIV negative. At this stage I feel that I will be testing for the rest of my life. My lab results have been as follows and please note that there have been absolutly no other exposures. The exposure took place in the US and the lady was of Asian origin.

3 days post exposure : Negative ELISA (Baseline)

3 weeks post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

8 weeks post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2

12 Weeks Post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2

6 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2, T-Cell Ratio 1.2 (CD4 920)

8 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

12 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

Regards,

Response from Dr. Wohl

You, my friend, are HIV negative by definition. I am not sure what your doctor is talking about regarding seroconversions (HIV test going from negative to positive) more than a year after exposure. You are done with HIV testing. Stop worrying. Now that you have sworn off all HIV risk behavior, get on with your life. Oh, and do think about getting a new doctor. DW

Previous
starting treatment
Next
Life span expectancy

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.