My Dr says I need to test another year

Dear Dr,

Following a one time possible exposure to HIV on the advice of my GP I have had the following testing carried out to 1 year post exposure. At this stage I am at my wits end and would really appreciate your advice. My doctor sya that you can never be sure that you are not infected with HIV and has recommended another years testing indentical to the past year. At this stage I am a mental wreck and have begun doing my own research on the internet. I no nothing of what these tests mean and have been told by my doctor that i could have a delayed antibody response to HIV..he says this has happened a number of times and for no apparent reason. I am other wise perfectly healthy as far as I know however my mental health is beginning to suffer greatly...I really don't know how much longer I can hold on. I have sourced information regarding delayed seroconversion and wish to know wether the tests that I have taken rule this out and if the tests cover all subtypes of HIV. Is the window period of 3 months really definitive as the advice I have been given disagrees with this. I feel that maybe you can put an end to this nightmare for me. Is there any ambiguity regarding HIV testing and can someone ever be completly sure that in fact they are HIV negative. At this stage I feel that I will be testing for the rest of my life. My lab results have been as follows and please note that there have been absolutly no other exposures. The exposure took place in the US and the lady was of Asian origin.

3 days post exposure : Negative ELISA (Baseline)

3 weeks post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

8 weeks post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2

12 Weeks Post exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2

6 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2, T-Cell Ratio 1.2 (CD4 920)

8 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

12 Months Post Exposure: Negative ELISA HIV 1\2 by Genscreen and Xsymm Negative Western Blot HIV 1\2 on all bands Negative PCR DNA Roche Amplicor Negative P24 antigen

Regards,

You, my friend, are HIV negative by definition. I am not sure what your doctor is talking about regarding seroconversions (HIV test going from negative to positive) more than a year after exposure. You are done with HIV testing. Stop worrying. Now that you have sworn off all HIV risk behavior, get on with your life. Oh, and do think about getting a new doctor. DW

starting treatment
Life span expectancy