Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

starting treatment
Dec 8, 2002

I have a question about starting treatment: This April I was diagnosed as HIV+. My T-cell count was at 412. My doctor has offered to start treatment but I don't want to start treatment right now because I'm afraid of developing resistance and that my options will be limited in the future. I would rather wait until my t-cells dip below 300 until to start treatment. Right now, I'm concentrating on strengthening my immune system by taking supplements. My supplement regimen is as follow: Multi-vitamin 1X/day Vitamin C 1000mg 2X/day Vitamin E 400 IU 2X/day CoQ-10 100mg 1X/day Fish Oil supplement 1X/day Grape Seed Extract 60mg Alpha Lipoic Acid 50mg 2X/day B-Complex 50 1X/day Selenium 200mcg 2X/day Calcium-Magnesium supplement (1gram/500mg) NAC 3grams total daily Glutamine Powder 1X/day.

In addition, for anti-virals, I take spv-30 3x/day, bitter melon 500mg/3x/day,maitake mushroom extracts 15mg MD-fraction extract 1x/day.

Is this regimen worth keeping up. I feel alot better now than I did before my diagnosis. Any thoughts?

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi-

As far as your first question, should you start HIV therapy, your CD4 cell count is a bit higher than the threshold most clinicians have for starting HIV treatment. I agree that waiting until your CD4 count is a bit lower (350, 300 - you can negotiate with your doc) is reasonable. That said, it would be important, though, to know your viral load. If it is sky high, many would be more aggressive in treating your virus. Likewise, if you have had an opportunistic condition or have symptoms of HIV infection now.

As far as your mega alternative regimen, all I can say is 'wow'. That is a heft bunch of nature's botanicals you are popping each day. If it makes you feel good and there are no adverse effects, all the power to you. Advice from a complimentary medicine physician would be a good idea to make certain the doses and formulations seem right and to check for bad interactions. Good luck - DW.

Previous
Can I lose weight?
Next
My Dr says I need to test another year

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.