Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

DR. Wohl i thank you so much for your time!

Hi Dr. Wohl..thanks for answering my question, sorry to bother you but i am still a little confused I asked about vaginal yeast infections and you described thrush in the mouth. Is it the same thing. My question was as follows.

Begging to get an answer from anyone Posted: Dec 2, 2002

Hi! Thanks for taking the time to read my qestion. I seem to be extremely confused about hiv. About 13 months ago i performed oral sex on a guy and he ejaculated in my mouth. Two weeks later a came down with a vaginal yeast infection. It would go away with treatment, but they it would reoccur. This went on for three months, then they stopped coming. Now about 8 months later they have started to come back. I was just wondering if the first batch of yeast infections could be part of ARS because i was told that a drop is cd4 count can cause yeast infections during this time..and they went away because my cd4 began to increase and ARS was over..now my second batch of vaginal yeast infections are are a result of the disease progressing. I took an Hiv antibody test during the second batch of yeast infections..which meant i waited about 13 months..and it came back negative, but i seem to be doubted it because of the way my symptoms came for a few months...then they went away for months and then return. It just seems to mimic ARS to me. I was just wondering if i could of gotten a false negative, and should go get retested again. I recently got a hepatist B shot..a month before I took the test..can that produce a false negative. If you could get back to me as soon a possible it would be greatly appreciated..i'm only 19 and all this stress is ruining my life..Its hard to concentrate on anything but HIV! Thanks!

Then you answered with the following message

Hi-

The good news is that you do not have HIV infection. I'll say it again to make sure there is not mistake, you don't have HIV.

Now that you are relieved, you will ask why you have thrush. I have seen a lot of people come to my clinic for thrush and when I look in their mouths I see a normal coating on the tounge. Most people don't examine their mouths too closely, that is until they have a risky encounter and then start examining every nook and cranny looking for signs of HIV.

In typical HIV infection thrush can occur early during acute infection, but that is not common. Then it does not pop up again for years when teh T-cell count is very low.

Is this the same for vaginal yeast infections..because i did not have thrush in the mouth..it was just a vaginal yeast infection..or will the answer still be the same..I am hiv negative.

Hi-

Sorry for any confusion. The case is similar for vaginal yeast infections as it is for oral thrush. The immune system deficiency that occurs with HIV infection takes time to manifest. It is extremely unlikely that you would almost instantly develop recurrent vaginal yeast infections as a consequence of HIV-related immune suppression right after acquiring HIV. This starts flirting with impossibility now that your HIV tests are negative. Thanks - DW

re: can 'o worms
Recent HIV +