Please clarify confusing post..really scared now.

Hi, I was just reading the post "the questions mount" and this post makes the heart stop of people who are scared they are infected. He stated that he had been tested via PCR and antibody and both showed negative. Is it safe to assume this person tested within a week or 2 of exposure as I would think the PCR would catch the virus after a few weeks. I thought the PCR was very sensitive.

I'm a 30 year old woman having some severe anxiety and stress over a man I was briefly involved with. We used lambskin condoms on several occasions, then switched to polyeurethane I have NO reason to believe this man is + neither him or I are high risk and he tells me he is neg and was recently tested however I cannot let this go. My DR tells me I am being way overly paranoid and to stop worrying.

I was tested 3rd generation Elisa 35-45 days after last lambskin episode and all negative. The CDC website states most people will show antibodies in 28 days but for 100 accuracy they tell people 90 days. A month after this my blood bank called me and asked me to donate and I did, all negative on everything (this was around 60-65 days after lambskin) because they are asking me to donate again which I tried to do last week but my iron was to low they told me to eat more iron and come back in a week or 2.

I understand that blood donations are screened very throughly. I called the lab and talked to a woman there familiar with all the tests and screening, and she told me that 95 of people show antibodies after 6 weeks, and they also do a test for the actual virus that should catch anything missed by antibody and that window period is 10 days. I stressed to her that I am not high risk and that I might be worrying over nothing, but she said if I donated 60 days after the last episode, then the blood screens would have caught anything if I have it since that is plenty of time for at least the genetic test.

The reason I am worried is i have a cold for the second time in 3 months. Not the flu no nausea or body aches but a slight fever(99.1) and sore throat with mild head congestion. I can easily attribute this to stress, not eating healthy, and low iron. I know i need to get one more test to be 100 sure since its now been 4 months, but I would appreciate your input. Please help me rest a little.

I was at the DR lst week and I asked my DR for one last test and she said one wasnt necessary since I had the 60 day blood screen, but she did a CBC which showed all labs normal, hemoglobin at 11.8 but the blood bank said I was under their minimum iron standard.

Thanks

You are almost certainly not HIV infected. Your doctor should recognize that your anxiety will only be relieved by a test that covers the .1% missing from 99.9% certainty of your previous tests.

Get another test at 3 months, stop worrying and invest in latex condoms (they are cheaper and more effective at STD prevention). DW

Treatment Naive: Trizivir & Viread
mutation