vacation off meds

Doctor, I have been on Epivir and Zerit for about 8 years, maybe a little longer.My t cells currently are 850,my viral load is undetectable. I have never fallen below 500 in my t cells. The doctor asked me if I would like to go off all meds for a while. I would love to, but I'm scared to death! What do you think about this? Do I have reason to be scared?

Response from Dr. Boyle

The studies conducted thus far regarding treatment interruptions indicate that you should do relatively well off therapy, but that you still should be monitored very carefully by your doctor when off therapy since some patients, and its not completely clear why, progress more rapidly than others once off therapy. Patients with a low baseline CD4+ count (less than 200) are at the highest risk for problems when therapy is interrupted, and in my opinion treatment interruptions should be done with caution and reluctance in that population, but that is obviously not you.

microwave etc
Switching due to high LDL on Sustiva