HIV+ ? - Confusion

I recently got sick and because I was in a "High risk group" and had thrush they sent me to an HIV Dr. They did an HIV test which came back negitive, they also did a viral load and CD4 test on me at the same time. The HIV came back neg and the viral load came back over 700,000 and a CD4 count at 312. I'm lost. I cant find any information on this. THey started me on thies drugs right away. 2 months now the numbers are still the same and I still test negitive. Are they assuming it is HIV when it could be soehting else thats serious and they are overlooking it? Can you have a viral load and not test positive for a long time. Please help, I'm very worried, afraid to keep calling the Dr asking a million questions and I just cant find any information on this subject.

It would appear that you were identified while you were having your acute HIV infection. This means that we can detect the virus in your body (the positive viral load), but the infection was detected before your body developed a complete immune response-- that is to say, made the complete set of antibody reactions that we define as a positive HIV antibody test.

Sometimes, by starting HIV therapy very early in the infection, there is a delay in the developement of HIV antibodies-- it would seem that you are in this category. A positive HIV viral load is a very specific way to identify HIV infection, and in the right setting needs little additional confirmation-- I'd be quite sure, that if you've had two positive viral load tests, that you, unfortunately have HIV.

There is a lot of information about acute seroconversion and the natural history of HIV infection on TheBody-- I'd suggest surfing the site for additional information. Good luck- BY

HIV-specific immune responses
Please help!