A change after resistance test

Dear Dr.,

I am a 36 yr old WM pos. 1997. I recently started a new combination of drugs after resistance to my last drugs of sustiva. I have finally found a combo I can live with, relatively little side effects. I am now on amprenavir with a norvir, 3TC, D4T. What can you tell me of this combo? I did show resistance to 3TC, but my Dr. says it will still help.

Thank-You.

Response from Dr. Boyle

Amprenavir/ritonavir is an effective combination, but the pill burden is a bid difficult for many patients. Fortunately, in the near future FOS-amprenavir will be available and will significantly reduce the pill burden associated with this combination. As far as your current regimen, its difficult to comment without more history regarding your prior antiretroviral exposure and the details of your resistance test; however, I'm not sure that I have a lot of confidence in a regimen where there is already resistance to one of the agents (3TC) being used, even though it may lead to a certain amount of compromise in replication capacity. If you're going to sick with this regimen, I would watch your viral load very carefully, and if you are not responding as desired, I would consider either an intensification or change of therapy.

Acute Hiv/Hbv infection
Restarting Therapy?