recently infected =(

hi,

i was recently infected with hiv. i am so,so sad. this virus sucks! tell me HONESTLY, should i really be sad? is the current treatments that good? i keep hearing about the nasty side effects and the fact that these drugs don't last forever. i also read an article simulating life expectancies with HARRT and the best was 26.1 years? =( but also i read a lot about upcoming treatments which made me smile with some hope (fusion inhibitors, integrase inhibitors and RNA interference). well thank you for all your hard work on this forum. i know you guys are working your butts off, and i'm optimistic (and i'm sure you guys too) that someday we will find a cure. there just has to be one right? =)

Finding out you are HIV positive is, of course, sad and difficult. I am sorry you have to go through this (its one of the reasons, I and my colleagues beg, plead and preach safe sex and needle use).

You are correct, the future does look bright. The last few years have seen a mind spinning revolution in HIV care. After having to make do with a pittance of therapeutic agents for years we now find ourselves with over 20 HIV drugs and new one coming out faster than versions of the web browser you are using right now.

Life expectancy, life shmectancy, I always say. Who know how long you or anyone will live? 26.1 years, swell. In that time, I suspect a few new therapies will come down the pike, and maybe, just maybe the big C U R E.

You have work to do and it seems you are on the right track. Learn as much as you can and do the right thing. DW

update for Dr.Wohl
Is