Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Herbal Mediaction
Nov 1, 2002

Dear Dr. Wohl,

A friend had recently posted a message and you had provided answers. This encouraged me to write. Thank you taking time to help us lost souls.

I have been taking herbal medication for the last three months, and have not been taking any other form of treatment.

The following are my Blood and CD4 reprots, kindly provide your valued advise and comments.

Blood Test before medication on May 12, 2002.

WBC Total 6050/cmm ESR 3 mm 1 st hour Neturophil 55 Lymphocyte 45 Haemoglobin 13.1 gm

Blood Test after herabl medication on July 3 2002 (one month after begining medication)

WBC Toatl 5100 /cmm ESR 18 mm 1. st hour Neturophil 50 Lymphocyte 47 Monocyte 02 Eosinophil 01 Haemoglobin 12.7 gm

CD4 absolute & percent Counts by flow Cytometry. 22. August 2002

Total Leukocyte Count 6000 cells/cmm Lymphocyte percentage 45.1 Absolute Lymphocyte count 2976 cells/cmm Granulocyte percent 27.9 Absolute Granulocyte count 1841 cells/cmm CD4 percentage 13.1 Absolute CD4 count 390 cells/cmm

CD4 report No. 2 on 20-Sept-2002

Total Leukocyte count 6000 cells/cmm Lymphocyte Percentage 47.3 Absolute Lymphocyte count 2838 cells/cmm Granulocyte percent 30.6 Absolute Granulocyte count 1836 cells/cmm CD4 percentage 16.7 Absolute CD4 count 474 cells/cmm

Could you please provide your analysis to the above report.

Thanking you in anticipation

Response from Dr. Wohl

Thanks for sharing your information.

Your increases in absolute and percentage CD4 counts from August to September are wonderful. Whether this is due to the herbal therapies you are taking or not is unclear but I hope it is. It would be a more complete story if we knew your CD4 cell count before you started on these treatments.

A dramatic increase, that continues, after initiation of therapy with herbal agents in the absence of any other potential factor (e.g. you stopped doing crack cocaine or heavy drinking) would really support the role of these compounds. For me, I try to hold any potential therapy to the same standard we have established for antiretrovirals - it has to be effective at dropping the level of virus in the blood, increase T-cells and be safe. An herbal agent that meets these criteria would be very welcome. Do update us if you can. DW

Previous
the right time for sure?
Next
update for Dr.Wohl

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.