Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Night sweats...
Oct 28, 2002

Thank-you for the great service you provide for people like myself. I cannot begin to explain how greatful we all are to you and your collegues on this website. The info. you provide to us all help us better understand this killer of a virus. The question I have for you is, how common are night sweats within the first 1-3 years after possible infection? I have read many times on the internet that they are most common in the seroconversion phase of the illness (1-6 weeks) and later in the ARC-symptomatic phase, do you agree? If so what percennatge () of the HIV+ population experience them within 1-2 1/2 years after possible infection? What may the intervals be..nightly..every other night..acouple of times a week? My friend of mine has been HIV+ for about 2 years and suffers from profuse night sweats. He is on medication and I am wondering if any of the drugs can cause the night sweats? I suspect that I am HIV+ also but to scared to test. I have been extremely stressed and anxious about this over the last 7 months. I got night sweats for the first time 6 1/2 months, twice in that week. This week, Saturday, Sunday and yesterday I have had night sweats and don't know what to make of it. Assuming I am +, is this common or can it be due to the stress and anxiety? I realize this may sound like a worried well question to you but I am really scared.

Response from Dr. Wohl

Hi-

Night sweats can occur during any stage of HIV infection but their presence, frequency and severity is very variable and differs from individual to individual - so using sweats as an indicator of whether you are infected or not is problematic.

You really do need to be tested. As you know from reading the postings on this site, there are very effective treatments for HIV infection and their opportunities for success are best when started early.

Regardless of the result, it will be a relief to finally know where you stand. Not knowing can be extremely stressful and damaging to your mind and body. Get help, get tested. DW

Previous
3rd set of blood, 6th week on Videx, Epivir, Viread
Next
Worried about cd4 down

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.