Immune 26

Have you seen this product called immune 26 ? It is listed in the May 2001 PDR under supplements. What do you think about it in conjunction with HIV meds? It also lists that it was tested at Harvard.

www.legacyforlife.net/wjc

Response from Dr. Cohen

I don't know much about it - nor is there much to say from what is provided.

As noted in the PDR listing - it is some type of derivative from eggs after they were somehow stimulated with various bacteria to make, presumably, antibodies and/or other immunologic chemicals in response to this injection of bacteria. And the concept is that this would transfer protective immunity to the person taking it. And somehow the deficiencies induced by HIV infection would be fixed with this passive immunity, or so the story goes.

Note first that the listing in this particular PDR has no meaning - certainly nothing like what it means for an actual pharmaceutical drug. There, the listing implies that the FDA has approved a body of information documenting that the drug actually does something of need for our health, and summarizes the supportive info for that use, as well as any information about side effects, dosing etc. This other PDR listing is just that - a listing with essentially no information other than apparently what the manufacturer sent in. So beware of using that listing as advertising...

Second. I didn't see any mention of Harvard based research. So I don't know what that means. Again, keep in mind that there is a lot of research going on - and if one small study in test tubes of something related to this product was done at Harvard - the company might use that to imply something more, like there is some human study showing benefits. I am not aware of anything substantial done along these lines.

Third - listening to some of the audio that is on the web site - it sounds familiar - one of these products that should take care of many modern day illnesses because there are a lot of illnesses for which current medical approaches are not often very helpful nor curative and here's this other idea that will magically, through the well known curative powers of chicken egg immune responses, fix what ails us all. If that's all the proof you need, then I'd just ask one more question -- when is the last time you've seen a sick chicken get better from egg concentrates?

So, for now, I'd say keep looking. Again, just a personal opinion - but in the absence of a good valid clinical study done in people with HIV - I'd suggest you enjoy a scrambled or even fried over easy... with a side of bacon and toast and glass of fresh squeezed OJ -- rather than rely on the powderous substances of companies like this...

Is my husband really HIV positive?
You said oral thrush is early syptom of VIH infection