Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

videx/viread dosing and meals
Oct 20, 2002

Dr. Aberg-

I noticed your earlier response to a question about videx/viread dosing and you mentioned that you do use this combination with the lower dose of videx as recommended. My doctor has suggested we also start this regimen and he too recommends the lower dose (250mg). This woiuld be part of a triple NUC regimen given only once per day (so easy!). My question is: what about the meal restrictions between videx and viread? Videx is supposed to be taken on empty stomach. When used in combo with Viread can it be taken with food at same time or do I need to wait until 2 hours after a meal for the videx? Otherwise it kind of defeats the purpose of the once per day if i need to have a 2 hour window between pills.

Thanks for your help-

Response from Dr. Aberg

You are correct about the need for the 2 hour dosing interval bewteen Videx EC (didanosine, DDI) and Viread (tenofovir, TDF). It still is a potent regimen although not a true once-daily regimen. If Epivir (lamivudine, 3TC) is an option, one could take 3TC/TDF with a non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor (NNRTI) such as Viramune (nevirapine, NVP) or Sustiva (efavirenz, EFV). The sustained release zerit (stavudine, D4T)will be available soon. The makers of retrovir (zidovudine, AZT, ZDV) and ziagen (abacavir, ABC)are investigating once daily formulations and hopefully will be available in the future. There is an FDA warning about the use of D4T and DDI together, so I would avoid that unless there were no other options. Some of the protease inhibitors can be dosed once daily. Also, a new once daily protease inhibitor, atazanavir, should be on the market within the next 6 months so there will be more options for once daily.

Previous
Combi & Crix - what to get of crix - what options
Next
benefit of flaxseed

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.