Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

dave, ya tip-toed..
Oct 17, 2002

doc dave, come on, i know you can give a more specific answer to my question than that. put it this way... two scenarios: a person gives a man a blow job and gets semen in his or her mouth (throat etc) and the semen contains hiv infected fluid vs. a man puts his circumcized and ulcerless penis inside an hiv positive female's vagina. who is more likely to become infected? this is not "who would win between superman and hulk" because based on statistics there should be an educated estimate. remember that the main reasons for woman to man being low risk in the united states is because the usual circumcision and absence of stds that create penile ulcers. just please, i need to see an opinion on this from a professional. forget what the gay community would like to hear, and just say the truth. the truth shall set you free! ok that was a little dramatic. but where are those cahones i was talkin' about?

Response from Dr. Wohl

You and I both know this is a question for which any answer is really a guess. Based on the fact that there are 28 million people in Africa with HIV and half are women, that a recent study in Uganda demonstrated HIV negative women were just as efficient in transmitting the virus to their previously uninfected partners as men were and the studies we discussed looking at risk of oral sex I'd have to say sex with an HIV infected women would be riskier.

That's my guess. Hope it helps. Of course, playing the odds is a losing strategy when it comes to unsafe sex. DW

Previous
Hard and early V Wait and see
Next
Epivir once-daily

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.