does this work

Dear doctors, I just read a news that lemon juice can kill HIV virus within seconds. How quick can this kill the people? If lemon juice kill virus within 10seconds, while it kill people within 30 seconds, and safe within 10 seconds, then this may be a way of medicen. Suppose we inject the lemon juice into the body, then inject sorts of base to neutralize the lemon acid at 10 seconds, then the lemon acid only kill the virus, not the body. Maybe some other chemical like lemon juice can work if lemon juice can not work. Thanks

My Dear Citrus Lover,

I applaud your creativity. However it won't work. I know, I know, I can hear you howling through cyberspace , "Hey, how do you know it won't work?!!! Ever tried it?"

Well, truth is I have not but one of my wackiest patients has beaten you to the fruit punch in experimenting with Highly Lemony Antiretroviral Therapy (HLART). This lost soul has been injecting himself with the essence of lemon for years now, along with the occassional dollop of crack cocaine, in the misguided belief that what kills HIV on contact outside the body will do the same if it could only find its way inside. I think he is nuts, although he smells great.

It just does not work. Besides being not very good for you and your organs, there is no way you could simply disinfect the blood with juice, salsa, bleach or anything else that may kill HIV on contact. Besides, HIV is an infection of the immune system, not the blood. The virus lives inside of cells, particularly in the lymph nodes. They use the blood as a transport system, not a home base. Trying to clear the blood of HIV without targeting the cells infected in the lymph nodes and other organs is an exercise in futility.

Again, good thought and just think how if it worked we could market it as LemonAIDS. DW

Newly diagnosed pos, lots of questions
3 NRTI's as a first treatment?