newly infected

hello.. My partner and I live in Spain. I am american he is spanish. I am positive for 15 yrs. he was negitive. he has just tested psitive. he is still at the moment going thru conveersion. his body is reacting with so much fever. we went to hospital.. after 3 weeks he has tested for the 4th time positive now in the hospital. they want to put him on medications.. his tcell is 400 viral load is in th emiilions.. his skin is still feelling like something eating it.. its what happen to me and many other friends. anyway.. they say maybe not good to start meds this early. I know if we oculd have started in the 48 hours we could have killed it.. but the hospital here was horrible and slow.. and .. well its a mess. so what do you think about starting meds. sorry I am typing fast.. Sedd

Thanks for your question.

I think that the Spanish doctors have made a good recommendation. There is a growing set of information that suggests benefit for initiation of treatment for persons who have not yet fully seroconverted. Among these issues are the preservation of a specific part of the immune system that is important for control of HIV. By preserving these T cells, there is real hope of improved immunologic (?vaccine) control in the future. This does not mean that treatment is mandatory-- there are many issues that go into this decision. I would suggest reviewing studies about persons with recent seroconversion (this can be found on TheBody as well as other resources).

Good luck. -BY

Must be rich to get best treatment?
3rd Millenium and beyond