Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

follow up on glands

dr. wohl, i apologize if i misunderstood your response to my question about glands, but it seems to me that you agree that hiv can spread throughout the body without having to even enter the blood stream. that is, if it only entered the body through contact with a gland (tonsil, adenoid gland). theoretically speaking then, one can be infected orally and not have antibodies show up in their blood for a very long time, right?

Sorry if I gave the impression that HIV could infect the glands (lymph nodes) selectively and not enter the bloodstream thus accounting for the suprising number of people who login to this forum with negative HIV tests but HIV symptoms.

This is NOT the case. If HIV enters your body through any orifice or crevice it will trigger an antibody response and a positive HIV test. Remember, the nodes contain the very cells responsible for an immune reaction. When exposed to virus they will produce antibodies. Further, nodes are connected to the bloodstream (makes sense since the cells and antibodies need to get to the blood in order to go where they are needed) so if there are infected cells in the node they can and do enter into the circulation.

Hope this clarifies the issue. DW

Normal lab values?
Re:CD4 140, Elisa -ve, WHY??