pml

Dear Dr Young I just wanted to say thanks for answering questions in the past and giving me hope when I thought things were very bad indeed. Its now 18 months since I was diagnosed with suspected pml (thats still only suspected). I had a cd4 of just 9 and v/l 750000 and was ready to give up, now after some il-2 treatments and haart combiver/sustiver my cd4 is now 305 and v/l ud. My life is now nearer to getting back to normal again can do almost everything, my mental state and memory is very good again. There is one thing that I need answering, slight slowness in right hand which does not cause any problems except for writing, will things in my hand improve over time and perhapd get better. My doc says my future now looks bright how true is this. Many thanks for your advice.

Thanks so much for your kind words and comments. It is so good to hear that you have improved so much. Your words should provide comfort to many persons who had their HIV diagnosed when their CD4 counts were low.

I'm afraid that it's difficult to be sure about your prognosis for improvement, since their have been few large case series studies on PML in the post-HAART era. Nevertheless, I share your doctor's opinion that your future is very bright, and that there is likely a realistic hope for continued improvement in your hand's function. This might be a good time to consider asking about physical therapy and rehabilitation-- perhaps this might accelerate the recovery.

With best wishes for continued improvement and long health-- BY

tenofovir
HIV in other Parts of Body