Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 

IL-2 & candida

Dear Dr Young,

Would you expect interleukine-2 to be of benefit for a case of severe refractory (including amphotericine) candidosis, assuming the CD4 count is about 400 and stable?

Thanks for your question.

Firstly, it would be very unusual for Candida to be fully resistant to amphoteracin. I'd have to wonder about the certainty of this diagnosis-- there might be a different illness mascarading as Candida.

I'm not aware of any information that relates to the effect of IL-2 on Candida in this context-- if your CD4 cell count is 400, I don't think that there would be a tremendous increase in immune function with IL-2. -BY

starting antirals in end-stage aids
questions on hepititis c