Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

another job for dr.dave
Aug 30, 2002

hey dr. david,

i need your help once again. ok, so as it turns out, i can't possibly have hiv (relieved) as its 8 months post possible exposures and still totally negative on elisa and western blot.

i am however ebv and cmv positive.

i'm in my early 20's and my main concern (besides persistent swollen glands, rash, coated tongue, thrush and mouth ulcers in my inner cheek, and slightly elevated temperature)is the body shape change i went through in the last 8 months. dave, i swear to god almighty, i did not change my diet or exercize. this was a change that took place in the span of a few weeks - 8 months ago - which prompted me to check for hiv and other std's in the first place.

my muscles burned right up, very strange and worrisome. shortly after, i began showing lots of fat all over my body. this change is the kind that happens after months and months of neglected diet and zero weight lifting, not one which happens in 2 weeks of the same old pumpin' iron and eating like a horse. to this day, even my face is gaunt from what happened. i know stress and worry can cause weight loss, but my stress and worry began AFTER my symptoms arose - and even through everything i never stopped lifting weights and eating high protein meals.

if this were you, considering the ebv and cmv, what would be on ur mind? can these two viruses (in the absence of cancer or hiv or aids) cause bodily changes this severe in this amount of time?

can these 2 viruses cause cellular disfunction similar to mitochondrial toxicity? should i take some anti-oxidents or some other suppliments to play it safe?

talk to me. based on what i am reporting to you, do i need to keep searching for whats causing this? or should i settle for the ebv cmv infection diagnosis?

sorry for the same old panic u hear everyday, but my body went from looking like arnold shwartzenneger to looking like marlon wayans for no reason.

and if you really think this is all in my head and even say the word "therapy," i suggest u warm up, cause we're gonna be goin' three rounds outside!

in all seriousness, thanks for any help you can offer. its much appreciated.

-the turk

Response from Dr. Wohl

Turkster- You do have to chill. First off, anyone above the age when watching Barney the purple dinosaur is still borderline acceptable is seropositive for EBV. It's all over and has bascially become a creature we all live with without trouble for the great majority of us. It is causing you no harm.

Pretty similar story for CMV. It is very common and causes no problem for most unless you have AIDS or are a transplant recipient.

Your body shape changes would make some sense if you were HIV+ and on chronic HIV therapy but you are not (see previous email).

So, the EBV and CMV are not the culprits, what is causing the symptoms you are noticing. I have no idea. If your doc confirms some of the changes you are seeing (do other people notice it or only you?) she should look at any funky supplements you body building types like to waste money on, check your thyroid tests and rule out diabetes as part of a work-up. But what your describing really does not ring any other bells.

Marlon Wayans?

Previous
acute infection testing
Next
Viread in combo

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.