Alone and recently contracted HIV. Where should I go?

After only being 6months out of a long term relationship, I've managed to contract HIV at 25. I'm the young professional boy next door who spends his time at work and at the gym... and with a book at a cool rundown coffee shop with aged wooden floors and doesn't take credit :-).

I wasn't expecting this. I've only told a couple close friends -- but no one knows what to tell me. I feel very alone right now and pretty stressed about getting sick and losing weight. I'd like to find a sports doctor who's experienced in HIV treatment -- who knows what treatments would be best for athletes. There seem to be so many treatments out there... and so much information -- it's all so overwhelming and not helping how I'm dealing with this. Your advice on where to start my 'journey' would be much appreciated.

FYI, your website is well put together. I'm glad I found it in my search.

Thanks and take care - L.

Sorry to hear of your situation.

My best advice is to find an experienced HIV doctor. Your local HIV/AIDS service organizations should be able to give you a good reading on who's who in your community. If that happened to be a "sports" doctor, that'd be fine; but in my experience, most sports medicine physicians have little experience with HIV. There is a lot of attention given (appropriately) to the management of HIV and medication side effects, particularly as they relate to weight loss, body (and muscle) mass-- but untreated, HIV will invariably result in immune decline and body mass loss. Hence, appropriate counselling and monitoring of your health; and timely initiation of HIV therapies will preserve your health (and body mass).

Good luck- BY

unsure about starting and confused about testing please help
all things being equal