please cut through the red tape on this one

Hi Dr. Wohl,

I was wondering what you thought of holistic treatment for HIV. Without putting yourself at any sort of legal risk for commenting (lawsuits or whatever) do you personally think they are effective?

I read about a Dr. Hulda Clark who wrote The Cure for All Diseases, and she talks about the necessary consumption of: green hulls, wormwood, and ground cloves... am i being taken for a ride? or more safely for you to say, would YOU consider this to be an effective approach in combatting HIV?

any opinion would be appreciated.

thanks in advance, unsure

Dear Unsure,

So called alternative therapies clearly have much to offer and can compliment traditional western style medical care greatly. In the treatment of HIV, many persons find benefits from less than conventional treatments - from using ginger to abate nausea to fish oil for high triglycerides to acupuncture for treatment of pain.

I am very suspicious, however, about any claim regarding a cure for HIV using herbs or foods. While there are treatments to control HIV infection there is no known cure. Alternative therapies that are touted as being a treatment for HIV infection need to be subjected to some research, just as antiretrovirals are required to prove their worth in clinical trials. Also remember that just because a product is labeled as natural or herbal does not mean it cannot have adverse effects. Some do and quality control of the preparation of many alternative treatments are not standardized. Additionally, some herbs are known to interfere with antiretrovirals, reducing the potency of the HIV medications and hastening resistance.

Buyer beware, I say. Every major disease in every epoch has brought forth those who claim they have the elixir that will bring about a cure. Look for the data and discuss them with smart people you trust, including your care provider. DW

THE NEXT 5 HIV DRUGS?
ferrovir - what is this?