Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!
Recent AnswersAsk a Question

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

early treatment and hiv-specific T cells
Aug 17, 2002

Dear Dr. Young,

I have read about the studies of Walker et al. with great interest, and I think their data encourages earliest-possible treatment.

One of the easy-to-grasp aspects is that it simply disallows the virus to satuarate all possible reservoirs of the body.

However I do not (yet) understand the other reason for early treatment: "preservation of HIV-specific T- helper cells".

My questions are:

*) the bone marrow/thymus constantly produces T-cells of all kinds of specificity. So how come that the body "runs out" of HIV specific T-cells, assuming that these cells are generated completely by chance (i.e. indepent of sero-status of the subject?)

*) is the reason for this that the HIV specific T-cells are produced over many years and cannot be replaced in short term once destroyed (especially if a constant level of HIV virema is present, killing all "new born" hiv specific T cells)?

*) If so, what hope can be given to chronical infected people? - Is cloning of HIV specific T-cells subject of investigation? is this necessarily - what other investigations are going on?

thank you very much for sharing your great knowledge!

j.p.

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your thoughtful question.

I think that the simple answer is that while there is a steady production of T cells, these T cells do not represent a new set of cells, but rather clones of preexisting cells. The immunological diversity or repetoir of the T cells is not, contrary to your statement, continually increasing; hence, what happens early in HIV infection, as specific deficit in the diversity occurs. The concern is that this specific deletion comes from the very cells with the greatest ability to recognize HIV.

Hope this helps, BY

Previous
Starting meds and sobriety
Next
AZT TONGUE PIGMENTATION- AZT 2 ever?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Get Email Notifications When This Forum Updates or Subscribe With RSS

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.