Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

Choosing Your MedsChoosing Your Meds

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Please help with these VL and CD4 results
Aug 16, 2002

Dr Young,

You have answered so many questions for us in the past so I am asking one more. My partner is HIV+ and was discovered in May 01' Since, he has had three VL & CD4 tests...we just got the last one back today:

Jun 01' CD4 710 VL 36K Nov 01' CD4 649 VL 48K Aug 02' CD4 640 VL 16K

The viral load has got to be wrong wouldn't you agree? I have asked a few other experts on the body also so we can decipher what to do--should we retest again now to get proper numbers, or should we wait until 3-6 months from now due to his high CD4 count? I thought maybe he had been infected relatively recent to discovering his status but he had been with me for quite some time and always remained faithful, and I am HIV negative. Would you say this is a blip and we should go have another test done? I apologize I do not have CD4 percentages Thanks

Response from Dr. Young

Thanks for your questions.

I'd summarize the numbers that you've described as a stable and high CD4 cell count (there's really little difference between 710 and 640) and a moderately high, stable viral load (remember that viral loads can vary quite a bit from day to day, even in the absence of treatments or infections). The variation in viral loads can be as much as 3- to 5-fold; hence one day's viral load of 16,000 could be another day's 48,000, just for example.

Hope this is helpful, -BY

Previous
re:viral load going in wrong direction
Next
HIV + Patnt.

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.